The PRE2 embodies our recognition that the analog preamp at the heart of every music system deserves the very best treatment because it handles every sound your system makes. Built on the heritage of the famous PA6i Meitner preamp, the PRE2-SE updates Ed Meitner’s classic to take a place at the forefront of 21st century preamp performance.
Eminent recording and mastering engineer Tom Jung explains: “Ed Meitner is the only guy on the planet who has an equally good understanding of both digital and analog circuitry”.
The PRE2 features six analog inputs, a recording loop, infrared remote control, multichannel ganging and, most importantly, stunning transparency. Due, in no small part, to the extraordinarily sophisticated contactless switching system, discrete circuitry, and the (proprietary) volume control.
Several PRE2s can be daisy-chained via serial control port to provide the purest multichannel preamplifier operations.
The PRE2 also features our aerospace-grade composite laminate circuit boards. These provide several performance advantages over conventional boards:
- Copper traces are microscopically smooth on top and bottom, significantly reducing skin effect issues
- Naturally damped sandwich construction offers superior strength and vibration resistance
- Lower dielectric losses and superior heat conduction ensure a more uniform temperature gradient across the circuitry, increasing stability and longevity
All of this makes the PRE2 the most sophisticated solid-state analog preamp ever created. Use it in your audio system and you’ll be able to control everything. Except, of course, your enthusiasm.
- Two XLR inputs, four RCA inputs, and one RCA Recording Loop
- 100% contactless, discrete, signal paths
- Clean Class-A power to drive cables and loads without degradation
- Proprietary software-based analog volume control
- Exclusive composite laminate circuit boards
- Multifunction infrared remote control
- Flexible LCD status and control display
- Serial port for wired remote control
- Daisy-chain expansion for multi-channel use
- Aero aluminum machined chassis
|Signal / Noise Ratio||110dB (A-weighted)|
|THD||1kHz <0.01%; 20kHz <0.01%|
|Gain control range||Better than 62dB|
|Maximum output level||21.9Vpp or 7.75Vrms (20 dBu)|
|Maximum input level||5.6Vpp or 2Vrms (8.2 dBu)|
|Input impedance||XLR – 20KΩ, RCA – 10KΩ|
|Output impedance||XLR – 150Ω, RCA – 75Ω|
|Stereo Analog Outputs||Balanced (XLR), Unbalanced (RCA)|
|Power Supply||Power Factor Corrected|
Factory set to 100V or 115V or 230V, 50/60Hz
|Power Consumption||Max. 40W|
|Country of Manufacture||Canada|
|Dimensions||435mm (W) x 400mm (D) x 92mm (H)|
EMM Labs PRE2 Pre-amplifier Wins The Absolute Sound Golden Ear Award
“…Ed Meitner’s new design, which has a degree of silence and transparency that is amazing in any preamp, much less one this compact. The Pre2-SE reveals the entire recording without coloration or emphasis, and makes any cliches about tube vs. solid-state pointless. Not a trace of edge or softening, superb dynamics, a true reference quality product.”
Anthony H. Cordesman, The Absolute Sound
EMM Labs PRE2 Pre-amplifier Wins Enjoy the Music Blue Note Award for Product of the Year
“What it does is simply to lose less information along the way than the JC2 or any other preamplifier I’ve reviewed. It’s the purest and most accurate component I have had the pleasure of listening to.. For now the bar has just been raised. I’ve made my choice. Meet my new reference preamp.”
Phil Gold, Superior Audio – Enjoy the Music